Traveling, performing, making, dressing and more...

Europe Part 2

Thanksgiving day, I was flown to Bordeaux, France to perform for the NYC Sounds festival at the Contemporary Arts Museum. Also on the bill:



Entrance

Photobucket
Phil Niblock walking to the auditorium

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket




Photobucket


Sound check w/ Alan Licht

Photobucket



Walking back to the hotel

Photobucket

Making my face

Photobucket

Bordeuax @ 4 a.m.

Photobucket



Photobucket


Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket


Day 2

Photobucket



I like to run
Photobucket



Photobucket




Photobucket



Next to the museum cafe

Photobucket


Park in Bordeaux

Photobucket




Photobucket
if you look inside the structure, you'll see some french skater kids and their girlfriends shooting the shit.
When I was their age i was shooting the shit in grocery store parking lots. Can't help but feel slighted when
I saw them. Why couldn't I hang out in traditional roman structures that were made in the 19th century?





It was a beautiful day

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket


Shopping

Photobucket



Photobucket




Found an incredible white wine from this fantastic wine shop in the main shopping center of Bordeaux.
It had 6 floors, separated by type of wine. The oldest and most expensive wines were at the very top.

Photobucket

Poster

Photobucket

The museum used to be a slave trading port, and before that it was a convent.





Photobucket

The human erosion on the stone steps. I tried to capture it, but just couldn't do it. Every slave,
every nun walked down these steps for hundreds of years. Still send chills up my spine.

Photobucket


Bordeaux shopping area at night

Photobucket



Photobucket


Last dinner before heading to Paris the next morning

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



trying to get "team Bordeaux" ready for a picture

Photobucket



Photobucket


This guy was funny

Photobucket






PARIS:


NOISE!!

Photobucket



Photobucket

Maxime Guitton took me on a walking tour of the city. He wore me OUT!

more info about his organization can be found here:

http://www.myspace.com/alifibgigs

Photobucket






Had this image ingrained in my psyche earlier this fall season when a friend pulled
a tarot card that was similar. Then I saw it at the top of a government building in Paris. Whoa.


Photobucket

Parisian art nouveau

Photobucket


Photobucket

".....don't accept credit cards since 1845."





A film bookstore, I found some beautiful silent film industry magazines here for my showroom.
The pictures inside are breathtaking.

Photobucket
this picture isn't that.





The light in the sky was really beautiful. I couldn't capture it, but I remember how it feels.
And to me, that's all that matters.


Photobucket



Ran into the Notre Dame

Photobucket


Shakespeare bookstore

Photobucket


French bookstore doggy

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket


Admiral winter jacket from the 1940's. I wanted to buy it, but it wouldn't sell. Too costume-y.
I would totally wear if it fit me.

Photobucket

Dinner with Stephan Moore, head sound man of the Merce Cunningham Dance Company.
We sat next to an interesting radio that had European cities as stations. It blew our minds.

Photobucket



Photobucket


Steak tartar and french chicken

Photobucket

A Campari toast for Shelley Burgon, since she couldn't join us.

Photobucket

I learned how to say "on strike" in french.

Photobucket




The Archives nationales of Paris

Photobucket

There was an interesting show there, but what really captured my
attention were the chandeliers on the ground floor.

The people above on the first floor walked around as the chandeliers
on the ground floor gently shook on impact. It was a beautiful sound.

Stephan and I sat there for a good 30 minutes just listening to it all.
My favorite memory of the day.










An amazing antique instrument store with novelty instruments.
If I opened antique music instrument store, this is exactly how it would be.

Photobucket



Photobucket




Photobucket

It was so amazing.



Berlin for my workshop, info here:



Universität der Künste Berlin




OF NOW: Improvisation in the Arts

"When I am painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It's only after a sort of get aquainted period that I see what I have been about. I have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting has a life of it's own." Jackson Pollock

This three-day workshop with sound artist Maria Chavez, whose work has recently become centered on the paradox of time and the present moment, will consider improvisation in contemporary art and its place in the art market. Examining work by 20th-century artists who embraced improvisation, the discussion will also question the need for ownership in ephemeral mediums such as music and dance.





Photobucket


I didn't take photos because I was so busy, but the students were so cool and I really enjoyed my time there.
If you look closely at the above picture, they put my postcards of my workshop on the walls.


Afterwards, Sophie (the woman that set up my workshop) took me out with my best friend Donna Huanca and her boyfriend. We had too much fun.

Photobucket



hee hee...
Photobucket


The next day I worked on a music score for a video piece that Sophie was creating.

Photobucket



Nat let us use his studio. Was fun.
Photobucket

German babies in the cold.

Photobucket



At an opening later that night.

Photobucket

Quechua Couture

Photobucket

w/ Donna Huanca

www.ruaminx.com

WHEN AND WHERE I'LL BE 2010

May 15 2010

Brecht Forum with Gene Coleman

Brooklyn, New York, US



May 18 2010

Outpost 186, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Boston, Massachusetts, US



May 19 2010

Strange, May 2010 Tour with Seeded Plain

Portland, Maine


May 20 2010

L’Envers, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Montreal, Quebec, CA



May 21 2010

May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Toronto, CA



May 22 2010

Dreamland Theater, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Detroit, Michigan



May 23 2010

Robinwood Concert House, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Toledo, Ohio


May 25 2010

Enemy, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Chicago, Illinois


May 26 2010

Sugar Maple, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Milwaukee, WI


May 27 2010

The Ritz Theater, May Tour 2010 w/ Seeded Plain

Minneapolis, MN



May 28 2010

Ames
Progressive, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Ames, Iowa



May 29 2010

Bemis Center, MAY 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Omaha, Nebraska



May 30 2010

Clawfoot House, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Lincoln, Nebraska



Jun 13 2010

Whitebox Gallery

NYC, New York



Jul 1 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Marina Rosenfeld

NYC, New York



Jul 2 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Elliot Sharp

NYC, New York



Jul 3 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Elliot Sharp

NYC, New York



Jul 4 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Elliot Sharp

NYC, New York



Jul 9 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Marina Rosenfeld

NYC, New York



Jul 11 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Alan Licht and Lee Ranaldo

NYC, New York

HOUNDSTOOTH ON FADER TV