Traveling, performing, making, dressing and more...

KOMPAKT 3


So if you go to this flikr.com account you will be able to see photos that a guy named Alex took of James and my performance in Philly last November.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alextyson/3136572616/in/photostream/


Here is a photo that a friend of James took:

From Maison Martin Margiela's latest collection:



His work speaks to me in so many ways. I hope to get this piece for my upcoming performances in Vienna in April. More on that later....


So a while back I posted about my scatter- splatter series. I look for interesting "scatters" i.e. these business cards found scattered on the sidewalk next to my store:



And then embroider the moments on canvas:





I just finished this piece a few days ago. I'm selling this one entitled "Scatter #4" for $100 at my performances.  I feel that since I no longer record my performances I need to record random moments and keep their memory in thread. Full finished photos coming soon.....



I performed with some impressive improvisers last Friday:

Toshimaru Nakamura (Tokyo, no-input mixing desk), Ko Ishikawa (Tokyo, sho), Gene Coleman (Philadelphia, bass clarinet), Audrey Chen (Baltimore, cello), Jenny Walshe (Dublin/NYC, voice), Magda Mayas (Berlin, piano), Anthea Caddy (Berlin, cello), Annette Krebs (Berlin, guitar) and Jesse Peterson (NYC, violin)

15th Street Meeting House, NYC:
Kenta was there!
Anthea and Jenny waiting for the rest of us to finish setting up.


Anthea, Annette, Jesse and I performed the first set. No photos of that because I forgot to give someone my camera....


2nd SET: Magda Mayas, Jenny Walshe and Gene Coleman:


3rd Set: Ko Ishikawa, Toshimaru Nakamura and Audrey Chen:


Ko played a Sho. A traditional Japanese free-reed mouth organ. It was beautiful to hear.


Everybody performed at the end: 


I liked this piece the best...

Dinner afterwards at a Thai place nearby:





On my way back to my place I saw that some movie production was happening on the intersection of Calyer and Franklin. I think it was for the TV show Fringe. They've been shooting a lot over in the Williamsburg and Greenpoint area.




The next night Michael and I met with a few of our friends at Congee Village (the Allen St. one) in the LES to celebrate our friends Gregory and Monicas recent wedding.

Here's a sweet potato all bundled up.



Dennis ordered the food the night before because it was such a big party. 
There was lobster, a seafood soup, a whole chicken, greens, shrimps, mussels..the works. So hungry....


Michael's soccer team. They're a super close bunch.



After dinner we went to my friend Sono Osato's studio party in DUMBO:


It was a good party, super packed for a while....here's a guy that had a great scarf on. He told me later that he made it out of a really posh pillow case that his wife bought years ago. It was so vibrant.
I like arrows....




A close up of one of Sono's pieces.  This particular one took her a year and half to complete.




A smaller piece with the impressions of the watch parts and other mechanical parts.  




On the wall:

The thing I like about Sono's work is how much it reminds me the miracle of engineering and how old these small parts really are. Like the pulley for example. A basic system that goes back to the ancient egyptian times. It will always looks the same because it works. You can't question it or make it better because it is what it is. I like how physically and historically dense the pieces are. Her pieces leave for San Fransisco this month, I'm sure they'll do well.

Sono (on the right) and a friend:


Afterwards went to Trophy Bar to see Duane DJ, it was packed:




It's freezing right now in NYC. The park is completely frozen over. It snowed a few days before and the park looked like a huge ice skating rink. I think this is the coldest winter I've ever experienced. Here I am playing with the light meter on my camera:




McCarren Park...in SPACE!



Leo got a haircut:
Dinner with Thomas and Heather. Here's Heather snuggling with Ralphee.




I perform this Saturday at the Issue Project Room in Brooklyn. All info can be found here:

issueprojectroom.org

xo


WHEN AND WHERE I'LL BE 2010

May 15 2010

Brecht Forum with Gene Coleman

Brooklyn, New York, US



May 18 2010

Outpost 186, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Boston, Massachusetts, US



May 19 2010

Strange, May 2010 Tour with Seeded Plain

Portland, Maine


May 20 2010

L’Envers, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Montreal, Quebec, CA



May 21 2010

May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Toronto, CA



May 22 2010

Dreamland Theater, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Detroit, Michigan



May 23 2010

Robinwood Concert House, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Toledo, Ohio


May 25 2010

Enemy, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Chicago, Illinois


May 26 2010

Sugar Maple, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Milwaukee, WI


May 27 2010

The Ritz Theater, May Tour 2010 w/ Seeded Plain

Minneapolis, MN



May 28 2010

Ames
Progressive, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Ames, Iowa



May 29 2010

Bemis Center, MAY 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Omaha, Nebraska



May 30 2010

Clawfoot House, May 2010 Tour w/ Seeded Plain

Lincoln, Nebraska



Jun 13 2010

Whitebox Gallery

NYC, New York



Jul 1 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Marina Rosenfeld

NYC, New York



Jul 2 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Elliot Sharp

NYC, New York



Jul 3 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Elliot Sharp

NYC, New York



Jul 4 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Elliot Sharp

NYC, New York



Jul 9 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Marina Rosenfeld

NYC, New York



Jul 11 2010

Whitney Museum, Christian Marclay Retrospective w/ Alan Licht and Lee Ranaldo

NYC, New York

HOUNDSTOOTH ON FADER TV